Here are some other pictures from Peace Camp.
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Peace Camp
Brady, Ashton, Avery, Bryson and Kenzie are all attending Peace Camp this week in Gettysburg. Today I volunteered to help. What I found most interesting was snack time. Each child randomly picks a card from a large stack. Each card represents a country. You are then considered to be from that country. Your snack is then based on what country you are from. If you pick a wealthy country like the United States or Germany, you get the best snacks -- popcorn, cheese curls, cookies, fresh fruit and fresh vegetables. Middle income countries get these snacks too, but only after the wealthiest countries have taken all that they want first. If you picked a poor country, which four out of five of my children did, you only get rice. This was the second day in a row for most of my children to only get rice for snack. Fortunately, Avery picked a middle income country and was getting food and giving it to the less fortunate.
Brady is from Afghanistan, so only gets rice for snack! Several campers were angry and in tears to be getting rice for the second day in a row, mine included! Imagine how the people who actually do live in these countries feel, and of course, that's the point. I had to laugh at Josh Groft. He also got rice for snack. He told me, "I'm just going to be a beggar!" I know he got some food out of Avery! LOL!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am so glad you explained that snack thing. Josh could not explain the "rice snack" at all. He was very frustrated. He told me he resorted to begging for "better snacks". Oh well, at least we know he'll go after what he REALLY wants. LOL!!
Brady looks completely miserable! Maybe he'll be more wealthly today!
Post a Comment