Sunday, June 10, 2007

Goat Roast

Yesterday my family was invited to our first ever goat roast! Brother Ramos wanted to roast a goat in honor of Brother Baggaley who will soon be leaving our ward. We gathered at our neighbor and fellow church member's home, the Bassetts.

It was also a first for Hero Bassett, the Bassett's Bassett Hound as he gnaws on a goat bone!


This picture was taken at about the time Kaden decided he wanted to pet Hero! Hero gave one loud warning bark and Kaden quickly backed off! No one was threatening to take his goat bone!




The goat meat was put in bowls with the broth that it was roasted in. We added chopped onion and laurel, a Mexican green with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. It was delicious! You could put some on a tortilla, or dip your tortilla into the meat and broth! I used a spoon and enjoyed mine straight from the bowl!

At the end of the evening I discovered the goat wasn't actually roasted as one might think. It was placed in large pots and cooked on the stove. Here's the picture I took of the bottom of one of those pots! Yes, that's the goat's skull! We had a great evening fellowshipping with friends and learning about a culture other than our own.

7 comments:

Dottie said...

TMI! :-)

Angie said...

You know I am a goat lover right???

Anonymous said...

Oh, Nice, that's just Nice

Lori said...

I actually was at a different party that night as well where they served goat AND lamb. I didn't have the goat, but the lamb was DELICIOUS! I kept thinking "What would Little Bo Peep think of this." giggle.

Shell said...

Well, its sounds like fun though I can't get beyond eating anything but the normal cow, chicken and pig...I did eat lion once but I was younger and braver then LOL

Anonymous said...

that was the BEST food ever! I'm so into goat now.

Anonymous said...

YUM!
Although i have to admit the skull put me off.lol!