Saturday, December 25, 2010

Trying to update

Back in early November Tim burned the huge pile of rubbish we had collected as we cleaned up around our parent's home.  I didn't get a before picture because by the time I got there he was nearly finished.

 In early November we also began dividing up our parent's belongings.  In this picture Mike debates whether he wants this saw that once belonged to our grandfather.
 We spend two different days deciding what would be ours to keep.  We each picked a number from one to four, number one being first to pick an item, number two picked second and so on.  On the second day we reversed the order.  If you picked number one the first time, now you were number four in the order.  Were there any arguments over who got what?  Truthfully, I would have to say yes.  One such argument was between my oldest brother Mike and my youngest brother Tim.  It went a little something like this:
Tim:  "I'll take Grandpappy's toolbox, unless you wanted it." 
Mike:  "No, you can have it!"
Tim:  "I'm not taking it if you want it!  Really, take it!"
Mike:  "No!  I don't want it if you want it!  You take it!"
Tim:  "Well, what tools do you want from inside?  Pick what you want."
Mike:  "You pick the tools you want first."
Tim:  "No, you pick what you want.  I can take what's left."
I think you get the idea! 
I was thrilled to get my father's wheelbarrow and these four tools leaning up again the garage.  I was just thinking yesterday about the last wheelbarrow ride my father gave me.  He was 70 years old and I was in my early 40's!  Dad wanted to give Kaden a wheelbarrow ride.  Kaden was a toddler and didn't want to go alone so it was suggested that I join him, which I did!  Good memory!

Also in November Kenzie, Kaden and I attended a service at The Lutheran Home in which Pappy was remembered.  That was the second of such services  I attended.
When I think of my father, my heart aches.  If I continue in my thoughts, it's not long before I'm in tears.  As I write this post, it is Christmas Day 2010, the first Christmas without my father.  Still very hard to believe he's gone.  Fortunately, I have a strong testimony in the Plan of Salvation.  I know I'll be together with my parents again one day.  What a joyous reunion that will be!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Love the wheelbarrow story! HOw sweet.

I am sorry for the pain in your heart. :o(

Fern said...

Ok, just to keep peace in the family, I'LL take the toolbox:)